Monday, April 21, 2008

Tranfer to 4-year Institutions

Most 'traditional' students (teens and 20's) in my classes are transferring to 4-year institutions where they can hopefully continue to learn Japanese. Some students are tranferring out from Illinois to other neighboring states while others may transfer to as far as California or even Tokyo. In Chicagoland area, not many institutions offer beyond 'beginning' level of Japanese which may be equivalent to 2 years of Japanese or 250~300 instructional hours. Those who want to major Japanese language in our area, North Central College (NCC) is the only institution and those who want to major in Japanese studies, DePaul University is the only institution available. Other institution such as Northewestern University (NU), University of Chicago (U of C) and University of Illinoi (UIUC) may offer East Asian Studies and the like as a major or a minor. Transferimg to so-called prestigeous praivate insitutions like NU and U of C is quite challenging but there have been cases from my classes once a while.
I am very proud to announce that one of my students has been admitted into University of Chicago beginning this fall. I am sure that Japanese teachers of mine in U of C will be happy to have this student from my class!!
Some are transfering neighboring 4-year institutions and still attending upper-level Japanese class of mine! I am always thankful to those who continue to learn in my class after transfering!!

No comments: