Saturday, June 14, 2008

Big Earthquake in Japan and Kyoto

There was a breaking news at the almost end of my AP scoring session during which some my fellow AP readers had to leave earlier because of the horrible flood in Ceder Rapids, IA. The breaking news was the EARTHQUAKE in Japan by which over 20 people were killed and about 200 people got injured. Even Bullet trains there were derailed! Its magnitude was 7.2, which is just about the same scale as the Kobe-earthquake in 1995 which killed over 5000 people. Fortunately the area we are going to for the study abroad program (Kyoto) is located at a completely different area, so my students should feel OK at this time. It seems, however, the summer began and the high temperature of each day gets 28C (82F) by the time we get there. I am just excited to go to Japan with bunch of my students and I do inform them now to feel safe even though we probably still hear some after effect of this big earthquake!

No comments: